Protocol: NRG – GI005
Please Note: Below is a partial list of eligibility, please contact GHCI Research Department at (810) 762-8181, (810) 762-8079 or (810) 762-8038 to discuss full eligibility requirements.
- At least 18 years of age at diagnosis.
- ECOG Performance Status 0-1.
- Histologically/pathologically confirmed stage IIA adenocarcinoma of the colon (T3, N0, M0) with at least 12 lymph nodes examined at the time of surgical resection.
- Appropriate for active surveillance (i.e., no adjuvant chemotherapy) at the discretion of and as documented by the evaluating oncologist based on current practice patterns.
- The distal extent of the tumor must be ≥12 cm from the anal verge on pre-surgical endoscopy (i.e., excluding rectal adenocarcinomas warranting treatment with chemoradiation). If the patient did not undergo a pre-surgical endoscopy, then the distal extent of the tumor must be ≥12 cm from the anal verge as determined by surgical examination or pre-operative imaging.
- The patient must have had an en bloc complete gross resection of tumor (curative resection) as definitive surgical cancer treatment within 14 to 60 days of study randomization. Patients who have had a two-stage surgical procedure to first provide a decompressive colostomy and then, in a later procedure, to have the definitive surgical resection.
- Colon cancer histology other than adenocarcinoma (i.e., neuroendocrine carcinoma, sarcoma, lymphoma, squamous cell carcinoma, etc.).
- Pathologic, clinical, or radiologic evidence of overt metastatic disease. This includes isolated, distant, or non-contiguous intra-abdominal metastases, even if resected (including the presence of satellite nodules constituting N1c disease in the absence of lymph node involvement).
- History of prior invasive colon malignancy, regardless of disease-free interval.
- Other invasive malignancy within 5 years before randomization. Exceptions are colonic polyps, non-melanoma skin cancer or carcinoma-in-situ including those of the cervix and breast (DCIS).