Research & Trial Information
Protocol#: RTOG – 1008
Cancer Type: Head & Neck
- Pathologically proven diagnosis of a malignant major salivary gland tumor or malignant minor salivary gland tumor of the head and neck of the following histologic subtypes:
- intermediate-grade adenocarcinoma or intermediate-grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma;
- high-grade adenocarcinoma or high-grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma or salivary duct carcinoma;
- high-grade acinic cell carcinoma or high-grade (>30% solid component) adenoid cystic carcinoma.
- Surgical resection with curative intent within 8 weeks prior to registration.
- Pathologic stage T3-4 or N1-3 or T1-2, N0 with a close (≤1mm) or microscopically positive surgical margin patients must be free of distant metastases based upon the following minimum diagnostic workup.
- Zubrod Performance Status 0-1.
- Age ≥ 18.
- No residual macroscopic disease after surgery.
- No Prior invasive malignancy (except non-melanomatous skin cancer) unless disease free
- for a minimum of 3 years (for example, carcinoma in situ of the breast, oral cavity, or
- cervix are all permissible).
- No prior systemic chemotherapy or radiation therapy for salivary gland malignancy; note that prior chemotherapy for a different cancer is allowable.
- No prior radiotherapy to the region of the study cancer that would result in overlap ofradiation therapy fields.